Title: Digital Communications Manager
Reports to: Chief Strategic Communications and Engagement Officer
Location: Can be mostly remote, but please note this is a U.S.-based position operating on NYC business hours.
About the role: Hip Hop Public Health is hiring a Digital Communications Manager to oversee and develop a social media strategy that brings Hip Hop Public Health’s mission to life — to increase health equity and inspire health behavior change through the power of hip hop. You must care deeply about health, community, culture.
You will be charged with leading and executing daily social media activities, including creating and posting content, website management, monitoring, engaging with commenters, creating and maintaining the editorial calendar, collaborating with the team to implement social media campaigns.
As part of the Strategic Communications and Engagement team, the Digital Communications Manager must be a versatile writer who can write short social posts, blogs and newsletters with ease and flair. The ideal candidate will be able to take on these daily responsibilities, add their own flavor and work collaboratively to develop new projects with existing and new partners. As a key part of a small, dynamic and growing team, the Digital Communications Manager also has a can-do attitude, quick to identify needs and opportunities, and eager to contribute to solutions and get the job done.
Your experience with us:
The Digital Communications Manager’s scope of work includes:
- Being constantly attached to your phone and computer and engaged in what’s happening on social, in public health and in music/entertainment.
- Responsible for day-to-day social media activity helping to infuse social media in every part of our work.
- Manages the content calendar and schedules content using website and social media management tools.
- Handles all website posting and maintenance; and record/documentation maintenance of our press and publicity.
- Produces written, visual, and multimedia content for social media platforms and audiences.
- Collaborates with the Strategic Engagement team in creating campaigns.
- Develops social media strategies for campaigns, projects, and events by drafting creative briefs, budgets, and delivery deadlines.
- Understands how to create social media reports on content performance with an analysis on how to improve engagement and the overall social media strategy.
- Engages with our audiences on all social media platforms by responding to comments and answering questions.
- Daily social media monitoring and listening to identify issues, including conversations, content or comments that may be an opportunity or a risk for Hip Hop Public Health.
- Identifies opportunities and spearheads these prospects with influencers and partners for projects and campaigns.
- Provides guidance on social media guidelines and best practices.
- Creates and edits social media posts using graphic design tools such as Adobe Creative Suite and Canva.
- Monitors trends in social media, public health and hip hop spaces to stay up to date; recommends improvements and changes when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you bring to the team:
- 5 years of experience leading social media channels and creating social media campaigns for a nonprofit organization. A background in public health and hip hop spaces are a plus.
- Strong writer and editor who can write persuasive and clean copy for all digital communication channels including social media posts, campaigns, newsletters, and blogs.
- Loves to be connected to what’s happening on social media and seeks to master it all.
- Own projects and consistently deliver on-time, high quality work; take initiative in alignment with our values, goals, mission, and priorities.
- Experience using WordPress or willingness to learn to manage all website posting and maintenance.
- Expertise developing social media strategies, guidelines, and best practices.
- A passion for developing relationships with current and new partners.
- Ability to collect and analyze data to provide expertise to team members on daily content and campaign performances.
- Experience in using graphic design and video tools for social media.
- Flexible mindset and the ability to thrive in a fast-moving, collaborative organization that is at the forefront of responding to public health events.
- Optimistic and calm, with a can-do attitude and a sense of fun.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position. Like most digital communications jobs, this is not necessarily a 9 am-to-5 pm kind of role. There will be times when the ability to interact with, and participate in, social media outside of those hours is needed.
Benefits: We offer a comprehensive medical, health FSA, dental and vision package. The team operates in a mostly remote environment.
NOTE: Hip Hop Public Health is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and an organization committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
Submit your application by 5 pm ET on Dec. 10, 2021: