Hip Hop P.O.P.
According to the CDC: “sugar-sweetened beverages are the largest source of added sugars in the diet of U.S youth and may be a contributing factor to obesity among youth nationwide.” Hip-Hop P.O.P. (Pouring on the Pounds) is a multimedia program developed to support and enhance our Hip Hop H.EA.L.S (Healthy Eating and Living in Schools) curriculum. However, it is also made available as a standalone program. P.O.P. teaches children to weigh the cost-benefit of their beverage choices and illustrates how sugar-sweetened beverages can be costly both in terms of personal health and finances.
Specifically, P.O.P reviews:
- The concepts of empty/extra calories and calories derived from healthy sources using interactive methods.
- Reviews the Nutrition Facts Label on sugar-sweetened beverages and uses priming strategies to encourage their use in decision making.
- Quantifies and illustrates the exercise cost of empty/extra calories consumed from sugar-sweetened beverages. Reviews specific activities (type of activity and duration of activity) required to burn a specific amount of calories (represented by a specific food item or specific meal).
- Reviews the monetary costs of sugar-sweetened beverages on household budgets and children’s pocket money, and provides alternative child friendly examples of how savings can be spent.
- Provides age appropriate alternatives to sugar sweetened beverage consumption and promotes the health benefits of water.
Interested in more information or want to invite this program to your school? Please contact us.